Once you have decided on aluminum from among the available metal canopy materials, you may think your decision-making is complete. However, you still have one big decision to make: what type of aluminum canopy finish will be best for your project? Check out a few of the options available at Mitchell Metals, and you will have a better idea of what may be best for your canopy and your architectural needs.
A Few of the More Popular Options
Three of the most popular options for aluminum canopy finishes are:
- Baked enamel paint: A high-quality polyester enamel applied using a hot-air-assisted electrostatic system and then baked at 400 degrees to provide a protective layer.
- Anodized aluminum: Anodizing is an electrochemical process converting an aluminum surface from its basic form into a decorative and protected finish.
- Kynar paint: Kynar paint is a resin-based architectural coating, which is less reactive than exposed aluminum and protects the surface from damage.
Tips for Choosing the Best Canopy Finish for Your Job
The right canopy finish can help your canopy look its best and stand up to the rain, wind and other hazards it may face on a daily basis. When choosing the finish for your canopy, keep the following tips in mind:
- Think about color and design when choosing your coating. Baked enamel paint, for instance, may be available in many more color options than anodized aluminum.
- Each option has pros and cons. While anodized aluminum and Kynar paint are both quality finishes, anodized is more porous than baked enamel paint. This can make cleanup more difficult.
- Cost is an important option, too. The cost of Kynar is more than anodized, and anodized is more than baked enamel. Even though you will pay more for anodized, you will get less life out of it than baked enamel. Make sure you’re comparing apples to apples.
- Check the details of any warranty program. For example, the warranty of Kynar paint is notoriously restrictive and can be hard to make a claim on.
The most important thing to remember when choosing your canopy and canopy finish is that you do not have to do it alone. Mitchell Metals is the leading provider of aluminum canopy systems and finishes. We work with architects, general contractors, subcontractors and business owners to help them choose the perfect canopy and materials for unmatched results.
Give us a call or contact us online to learn more about the options available to you. We are always ready to lend a hand and help you design a canopy system that will look great today as well as years down the line.